FAQ for Students

If one of your Apple devices goes missing, iCloud can help you figure out where you left it. Just sign in at iCloud.com or use the Find My iPhone app to see your missing Mac, iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch on a map. iOS 6 and iCloud offer Lost Mode, making it even easier to find and protect a missing iOS device. With Lost Mode, you can immediately lock your device and send it a message with a contact number. Then whoever finds it can call you from the Lock screen without accessing the rest of the information on your device. Click here for more information.

For undergraduates on campus, during business hours (9:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m.) please visit your Residential College Master’s Office to be let into your room. When the Master’s Office is closed, you can call Yale Security at 203-785-5555 and a uniformed Yale Security Officer will be dispatched to your location to provide this service. You will be asked to sign a lockout form that will be given to your Master’s or business office. Students, please be prepared to provide your name, contact information, the college in which you reside, entryway letter, room number, floor, and the last four digits of your Social Security number for verification purposes when calling Yale Security. You will be instructed to wait for the officer in front of the locked door. Should you be able to open your door prior to the officer’s arrival, please call Yale Security and inform them that services are no longer needed.

The Yale Police Department does not keep any records. Reports can be obtained from the Connecticut Department of Public Safety, and more information can be found here. The Yale Police Department can arrange for fingerprinting if an appointment is made. Go here for more information.

Lost, stolen, or damaged ID cards should be reported immediately to Yale Security at 203-785-5555. Replacement cards are available at the ID Card Center (246 Church St.) during normal business hours. During non-business hours, temporary ID cards are available at the University Police Department, located at Phelps Gate. More information can be found here.

The daily crime logs are posted on this site’s calendar. 

The University will use emergency contact numbers and email addresses that have been registered to communicate with you during emergencies. You should program the Yale Alert number, 203-432-5830, into your phone so that you recognize a call or a text message that comes from this number in the case of an emergency. The Yale Alert system and all methods of emergency communications are tested community-wide four times per year. More information can be found on Yale Emergency Management’s website. 

Call 911 or the Yale Police at 203-432-4400 or call the New Haven Police. You may also contact the SHARE (Sexual Harassment and Assault Resources & Education) Center for advocacy, education, and support at 203-432-2000. Details of other resources can be found at the SHARE Center website.

Yes, security and police officer coverage can be obtained if you request it at least three days prior to your event. Click here for more information and to find the request form. 

If you are in immediate danger or in an emergency, call 911. Otherwise, call Yale Police at 203-432-4400 to file a report and receive further instructions on what to do. 

You can view information about crime in New Haven by area, street, and crime type here. The site is run by the New Haven Independent and is not an official record but still provides useful information. You can view the official NHPD crime statistics here.

The vast majority of crime on campus is property crime, especially involving electronic portable items such as laptops, cell phones, and iPods. Thieves are constantly looking for unattended, easily transportable, and valuable property to take. Most of the property stolen is left unattended in public areas or in unlocked rooms, public spaces (such as libraries), or offices. The best advice to follow is to never leave your property unattended and to always lock your door.

Between 6 p.m. and 6 a.m. Any person with a valid Yale ID card can obtain a safe walking escort or safe ride from Yale buildings to residences, from residences to Yale buildings within the service boundaries by calling 203-432-WALK or 203-432-6330.

Please call the Central Alarm Station at 203-785-5555. A uniformed security patrol officer will be by to assist you.

Yes. The primary location is the Central Alarm Station at 4 Bristol Street (203-785-5555). Please note that items of value are forwarded to the Yale Police Department for storage (203-432-4400).

YPD officers patrol campus and the area immediately surrounding it, while NHPD has jurisdiction for the entire city. Both police forces are composed of armed officers with full arrest powers. In case of an emergency always call 911; the call will go to either YPD or NHPD depending on your location. Either way, there will be a response to your location, by either the YPD alone or both departments. To reach the YPD directly for routine non-emergencies, call 203-432-4400.

You should call 911 immediately. You should not delay in calling, as any delay could be life threatening depending on the level of intoxication. The Police's main focus is to get the person immediate medical attention and not to get you or them in trouble. The health and well-being of the person should far outweigh any concerns about disciplinary action.