Download the Free App (available on iPhone and Androids only):
What is it?
Bulldog Mobile is an app that gives students, staff, and faculty on campus an effective way to coordinate with Yale Police (YPD) via a mobile device. With Bulldog Mobile, you can use your smart phone as a personal security device to provide the YPD with accurate information about yourself and your GPS location in the case of an emergency. Your location and information is not visible unless the escort alarm or emergency call feature is activated.
You can activate the escort timer by clicking on the escort button in the App, entering your pin number, the time it will take you to get to your destination, and allowing you to write text in the “status” box, explaining your current location and your destination. Your timer will only alert Yale Police if you have not deactivated your timer before it runs out. If the timer runs out, Yale Police will call you and ask for your pin number. If your do not answer or the pin number you give is incorrect, your escort alarm will activate and provide GPS location for an officer to locate you in an emergency situation.
If you are in duress upon receiving a call back from YPD personnel, provide a PIN number one number above your actual code when prompted to recite your PIN (i.e. if your PIN is 5555 say 5556 if in duress.)
How Do I use it?
Important Points to Remember
- In an emergency always dial 911. This Bulldog Mobile service should not replace the standard practice of dialing (203) 432-4400 from your cell phone (or 203-432-4400 from a campus phone) to report campus-based police, fire, suspicious circumstances, or medical emergencies to the Yale Police Department.
- The Bulldog Mobile service should only be utilized in areas within the location of Yale University (this DOES include all of Yale’s satellite locations).
- App for use with iPhones and Androids Only.
- As with any cell phone usage, certain factors (such as signal strength, type and quality of your phone carrier, and dead spots) can affect the GPS locator accuracy.
- To maximize the full benefit of this service, update your profile with a current photo and accurate self-description. The more information you provide in your profile, the easier it will be for YPD to locate you, if necessary. You can change your profile picture at any time.
- When using the escort timer tool, it is strongly recommended that you enter a status in text explaining to YPD about your current location, intended destination, intended course of travel, etc. This information will greatly facilitate any necessary response actions coordinated by YPD.
- Your profile information will not be viewable by YPD if you conduct a successful timer activation and de-activation. YPD personnel will see your profile information only if your alarm has been activated (panic alarm or timer expiration).
Your GPS location is only visible if you activate the application in an emergency. We can never check in on you or locate you without you activating the program.