FAQ about on/off-campus living

For undergraduates on campus, during business hours (9:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m.) please visit your Residential College Master’s Office to be let into your room. When the Master’s Office is closed, you can call Yale Security at 203-785-5555 and a uniformed Yale Security Officer will be dispatched to your location to provide this service. You will be asked to sign a lockout form that will be given to your Master’s or business office. Students, please be prepared to provide your name, contact information, the college in which you reside, entryway letter, room number, floor, and the last four digits of your Social Security number for verification purposes when calling Yale Security. You will be instructed to wait for the officer in front of the locked door. Should you be able to open your door prior to the officer’s arrival, please call Yale Security and inform them that services are no longer needed.

No. Leaving doors propped open is never a good idea. It can lead to burglaries that are very difficult to solve and also leads to other, much graver crimes. Therefore, the convenience gained from leaving a campus door propped open is not at all worth the risk it entails. 

Please visit the Yale Transportation Options website. You can find information about nighttime shuttle bus routes here

You can view information about crime in New Haven by area, street, and crime type here. The site is run by the New Haven Independent and is not an official record but still provides useful information. You can view the official NHPD crime statistics here.

Please call the Central Alarm Station at 203-785-5555. A uniformed security patrol officer will be by to assist you.

Between 6 p.m. and 6 a.m. Any person with a valid Yale ID card can obtain a safe walking escort or safe ride from Yale buildings to residences, from residences to Yale buildings within the service boundaries by calling 203-432-WALK or 203-432-6330.